hypotheses and other points

Luca Tiberti

hypotheses and other points

Post by Luca Tiberti » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:54 am

Dear Ousmanou and team,

thanks for your proposal and presentation! I have a few comments:
- you identified to key hp to be tested:
"H1: The gender productivity differences are sensitive to the choice of gender indicator."
In general, we aim that our results are NOT sensitive to the definition of a variable or to a specification/estimator. If this is the case, we conclude that our results are not robust and, so, we would not have conclusive results. How can you defend the choice of your gender indicators (especially because they seem capturing different concepts)?
“H2: The gender productivity differentials vary by the agro-ecological zone where the farmer resides.”
I am not sure why we should find heterogeneous results across the climatic zones. It is probably because of different social norms or other? How do you test the mechanism(s) supporting this finding/assertion?
- The study is basically a determinants analysis, and not an impact evaluation. I guess you may try to extend your study to an impact evaluation one (i.e., estimating some casual effects). You mentioned the different land tenure contracts. One idea might be to explore the gender impact of the land tenure type on productivity
- Concerning the price variable, if available, I would suggest to use the price collected at the community level. The household price (not clear how this is defined) is more likely to be affected, among other potential problems, by measurement errors.

Thanks,
Luca

Ousmanou Njikam
Institutional affiliation*: University of Yaounde II

Re: hypotheses and other points

Post by Ousmanou Njikam » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:46 pm

Dear Luca,
I wish to acknowledge receipt of your comments.
Thanks and regards,
Ousmanou

Return to “PMMA-20386 - The gender gap in smallholder agricultural productivity: The case of Cameroon”