non-farm participation as a buffering way against rainfall shock on agriculture

Luca Tiberti

non-farm participation as a buffering way against rainfall shock on agriculture

Post by Luca Tiberti » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:19 pm

Many thanks for your interesting presentation. Please find below a few comments or suggestions:

- From the introduction, I had understood that a main contribution of the study would have been to see at the role of non-farm participation on agricultural productivity. However, I do not see clearly how this is addressed empirically.
- Non-farm sector can represent a way of buffering against rainfall shocks on agricultural production. I expect that this buffering effect differs by gender. If so, it would be interesting do understand why (and which are the barriers for women to improve non-farm employment productivity)
- A slight change in the empirical approach would be to implement a Dubin-McFadden selection model, where various “regimes” are modelled in the first equation, and rainfall shocks represent the key explanatory variable.
- Data:
o Please clarify whether you dispose of panel datasets at the individual or community level (I guess the latter, but not sure)
o Why not to use a longer series of data (you seem disposing of longer series)

Thanks,
Luca

Return to “PMMA-20449 - The role of non-farming activities on rural farming households in Lesotho: a gender perspective”