Few comments

pragatikoirala
Institutional affiliation*: SAWTEE

Few comments

Post by pragatikoirala » Fri May 31, 2019 8:14 am

Motivation
In the introduction section of your paper you have mentioned that there is a growing interest among researchers and policy makers to understand women entrepreneurship, but little focus was given on youth entrepreneurship as they constituted a great share of unemployed or underemployed population of Africa. I believe that both topics are equally important for both researchers and policy makers and are not mutually exclusive. Youth population also consists of women and increase in entrepreneurial activities of the women will certainly contribute to youth entrepreneurship. Maybe you did not intend to mean it that way but the aforementioned sentence could be misinterpreted by readers.
Methodology
1. Is sales the only outcome variable available in the dataset? If available, simple labour productivity (sales divided by labour employed) would also be an interesting outcome variable to be included in the analysis.
2. Is the sales variable deflated? How? Are industry-specific deflators used?
3. In cross-sectional regressions, industry fixed effects can be used. Is there any particular reason why they have not been used?
4. In the fixed effect model in Table 7, I assume that the fixed effect refers to firm fixed effect. The columns 2-4 refer to specific years, hence are results for cross-sectional regressions, with a firm observed only once in that year. Firm fixed effect here would seem to absorb all the variation in the data. Or am I missing something here?
5. In the diff-in-diff specification for assessment of the impact of credit uptake, is the absence of anticipatory effect suggestive of a parallel trend?
6. It would be useful to readers--many of whom are unlikely to be familiar with Lewbel's method--if you could show how the data meets the conditions that make this method appropriate.
Findings
Regarding your second research question, the majority of the literature you reviewed in the literature review section shows positive impact of entrepreneurial capacity building on the performance of the enterprise may it be through increase in sales, productivity, efficiency or innovation. However, your findings do not show a significant effect of capacity building on enterprise performance. I am interested to know your thoughts on why that is the case for Benin.

Return to “PMMA-20272 - Understanding youth entrepreneurship in Benin: the role of microcredit uptake and entrepreneur capacity building”