General comments

Martina Querejeta

General comments

Post by Martina Querejeta » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for your nice presentation! Here I share little comments:

Great contribution to the empirical literature in developing countries on the topic of child care services as a relevant variable of household work decisions. In particular, main contribution by measureing of job quality and analizing the causal effect of school attendance on job quality.

About job quality outcomes, I’m wondering whether you can measure job stability not only in terms of having a job contract but also in terms of tenure. Also job satisfaction is missing and this could be a good thing to incorporate if you have the information in the EPS. Finally, you propose to construct a multidimensional index of job quality but omit to explain how are you going to do so. It could be usefull if you discuss a little bit more on that as maybe this could be the stronger contribution of the research proposal: how to combine different indicators of job quality into a multidimensional index (dimensions, indicators, cutoffs, weigths, aggregation method, etc.)

Methodological contribution and challenges for the identification strategy are also well explained. I want to highlight two of them:
i) As timing of the entrance to Full Day School was not exogenous but rather it was a decision to be determined by each school. This could be a problem if the location of this schools is correlated with labor outcomes. If for example more labor motivated mothers pressure the direction of the schools to implement the program.
ii) Another major methodological challenge is to isolate the effect of the analyzed policy and the preschool policy implemented in 2006. Early child care is even more linked with women responsibilities at home since there are less public services and younger kids are more likely to use home-based family care.

Regarding the channels through which an increase in the hours that children attend would have an impact on mothers' job quality, in the proposal is pointed out that a possible channel comes from the increased feasibility of full-time work. However, previous studies had found a positive effect on female labor participation but a negative effect on hours worked (Contreras, Sepúlveda & Cabrera, find attached) and this is particularlly true for younger mothers for whom the income effect is especially important (dont have to pay for private care services, increase their income, offer less hours on the labor market). According to your conceptual framework, if you found such effect you would then be concluding that the extension of schooling hours had a negative effect on job quality. I rather be cautios in interpreting results on variables such as hours worked or part/full time employment because this could be not an indicator of the quality of employment just a labor choice decisions/preferences.

Literature:
Mónica Sofía Gómez-Salcedo, Luis Armando Galvis-Aponte, Vicente Royuela (2017). Quality of Work Life in Colombia: A Multidimensional Fuzzy Indicator. Social Indicators Research, February 2017, Volume 130, Issue 3, pp 911–936.

Katharina Wrohlich is another good literature reference not cited in the proposal. She has several papers on the topic of Child Care Costs/Choices and Mothers’ Labor Supply.

I hope you find this comments usefull!
Attachments
Contreras, Sepúlveda & Cabrera (2010) The effects of lengthening the school day on female labor supply. Evidence from a quasi-experiment in Chile.pdf
(187.17 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Return to “Access to child care and mothers’ employment quality: lessons from Chile – PMMA 20279”