shadow price and other few issues

Luca Tiberti

shadow price and other few issues

Post by Luca Tiberti » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks Veronica, very good presentation. Here a few issues I would like to share with you and your team:

- I am very happy that my earlier comments have been addressed fairly well in the current version.
- Among the identified mechanisms of transmission, the reform of school time likely affects the shadow price of the time that mothers spend on taking care of children. I would suggest introducing this too and possible to estimate the potential effect on the shadow price of mothers’ time and, so, on their labour supply. The final effect will depend on the comparison between the shadow price of mothers’ time (after the reform) and their market wage. The shadow wage is individually determined, and the market wage rate depends on the sector/skills, so results might be very heterogeneous across women. Shadow wages can be derived through comparative statics. This would allow determining possible competing channels and the dominating effect, which can vary by groups of women.
- I am thinking that the identification strategy might be more straightforward if you only restrict your sample to women whose youngest child is in primary school
- You identified two possible ways to define FDS; but I am sure I understood the second definition (“the share of municipal enrollment under FDS”).
- One additional heterogeneity analysis that I would suggest to think is about “poorer VS richer percentiles”

thanks.

Return to “Access to child care and mothers’ employment quality: lessons from Chile – PMMA 20279”