Organized in collaboration with el Centro de Investigaciones Economicas (CINVE, see information below), the first official PEP Shool to be offered in Latin America will be held in Montevideo, Uruguay, from March 5th to May 5, 2012 (see Delivery Mode below for detailed schedule).
This particular course will train participants in constructing (CGE) models of their national economy, and conducting simulations in order to forecast the impact of macroeconomic shocks and/or policies on an economy’s multiple agents, sectors and the various dimensions of poverty and welfare within the country.
CGE modeling techniques
PEP activities in terms of training and innovations in the field of economic modelling stand out among the Network’s most widely acknowledged contributions to the advancement of policy analysis in development economics. PEP resource persons are internationally known for developing a series of Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) reference models that allow more country-specific and extensive applications, especially in the context of developing country economies.
Course content and objectives
Participants will learn how to:
- Build and use computable general equilibrium (CGE) models, from simple to more complex representations of national economies. Basic command of related techniques and tools will also be acquired (e.g. SAMs, GAMS software)
- Conduct simulations of the occurrence of macroeconomic policies and/or shocks in the economy
- Interpret the results, i.e. forecasted impacts and outcomes on the economy’s different sectors and agents
For more information, see Course content
DISTANCE TRAINING : March 5th – April 20th, 2012
Preliminary readings and exercises are pro-vided to participants as an introduction. Throughout this period, PEP resource per-sons are available to provide technical sup-port whenever needed.
TRAINING WORKSHOP : April 23 - May 5 th, 2012
The workshop will bring together partici-pants and PEP resource persons at CINVE’s location, in Montevideo (Uruguay), for an intensive 10-day training session involving the several components described here.
See the PEP-CINVE School flyer
For registration, see Application details
(PEP resource person, Modelling and Policy Impact Analysis, Université Laval)
(Université de Montréal)
(PEP resource person, Modelling and Policy Impact Analysis)
El Centro de Investigaciones Económicas (CINVE)
The Centro de Investigaciones Económicas (cinve - Uruguay) is a private non-profit research institute established in 1975. It is an independent organization not related to any corporate, religious or political association. Its objectives are to promote and carry out research on domestic and regional economic topics and to foster the development of economic science in Uruguay.
The objectives pursued are fulfilled through the following activities:
- Economic research;
- Dissemination of research findings through lectures, publications, participation in local and international meetings, etc.;
- Organization of workshops, meetings and seminars open to researchers, policy makers, trade-union representatives, entrepreneurs and other social agents;
- Education and training of young researchers through their participation in the Center´s activities and through encouragement and support for their graduate studies in well-known universities abroad and
- Participation in academic networks, in joint studies with other local or foreign institutions and promotion of academic exchange with economists all over the continent.