New PEP call for Expressions of Interest (EOI)
PEP was recently granted funding by the UK Department for International Development (DFID or UK Aid) and the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) of Canada to lead a multi-country initiative to support and build capacity in development policy analysis in developing countries.
This is the first of a series of competitions for developing country research teams to benefit from the PEP research "Grant Plus" support and capacity building program.
Experimental Impact Evaluations for development policy analysis
In this first call, PEP invites research teams in developing countries to submit an expression of interest (EOI) for undertaking a randomized control trial (RCT), from late 2016 to 2018. The evaluation should target new programmes or policy interventions, extensions and modifications of existing programmes, or existing programmes allowing random allocation of new beneficiaries.
PEP is interested in evaluations related to the following themes:
- youth employment
- women’s economic empowerment
- entrepreneurship and financial inclusion
- productivity in rural sectors
Interested applicants should demonstrate their interest and aptitude for conducting a rigorous and policy-relevant evaluation.
Download the Call for expressions of interest (EOI) - description and instructions to find more information on the requirements to submit a successful expression of interest for impact evaluation using the method of randomized control trial (RCT).
The selected teams will be assisted in the elaboration of a full RCT proposal to be submitted for a second selection phase in July 2016. Please note that an invitation to submit a full proposal is not a guarantee of a research grant. Full proposals will participate in a competitive process of several rounds of evaluation, which requires successful completion of training in impact evaluation and presentation of the proposal to an audience of peers and PEP-affiliated international experts.
At the end of the selection process, 4 teams will benefit from a “PEP support grant” which includes scientific support from a PEP-mentor, financial support up to $100,000, as well as various subsidies for participation in a PEP meeting, a working paper, dissemination activities, and more.
Eligibility criteria and application procedures
In accordance with PEP’s core mission, this initiative includes an important “capacity building” component, and targets teams of researchers based in developing countries. Eligibility and selection criteria include:
- All team members must be developing country nationals and reside in a developing country during the full course of the project.
- University-level training in economics or equivalent experience is required.
- In addition, the lead researcher should have an institutional affiliation which is willing to serve as the host for the proposed research and receive funds for field activities.
- The evaluated programme or intervention should correspond to one or more of the four priority themes of research listed above.
Also, to be considered, the EOI should be completed and submitted using the following template and corresponding guidelines
- TEMPLATE (mandatory) to complete your EOI
- which should be completed based on indications provided in the Guide to prepare your EOI
Applications must be submitted via the PEP intranet system before June 6, 2016 (23h59, EST)
How to submit a proposal using the PEP intranet system?
Here are the steps to follow:
- ALL members of the applicant team must first register on the PEP website, before submitting a new proposal. To register, click on "Register" (see also top right corner of the PEP website header above, next to "Login") and follow the instructions.
- You will receive a username and password by email, normally within minutes, that will allow you to access your PEP intranet file, by clicking on the Login button (also top right corner above). Note that you can change your password yourself, through your personal intranet profile, anytime.
- ALL members of the applicant team must complete their PEP intranet profile, including their personal CV, a photo and short professional bio. To do this, each member should "Login" to the PEP website and then select "Profile" (and then "Upload CV", "Upload photo", etc.).
- To submit the EOI, the team leader must login, click on "Submit New Proposal", fill out the required information and upload the EOI template (when completed)
- When all is done, make sure that the document/EOI has been successfully submitted to PEP: simply return to your PEP intranet account and click on "My Projects".
PLAGIARISM is strictly forbidden - click here for definition of plagiarism and related instructions for citing sources. PEP will be using a software program to detect cases of plagiarism. PEP encourages applicant teams to submit EOIs in English, but will accept documents submitted in French or Spanish in cases of (justified) language barrier.
If you have questions about the submission process, how to use the intranet or the PEP grant, visit our FAQ webpage (see below).
If you do not find your answer, contact us at email@example.com for assistance on the submission process and technical questions. Questions concerning this call for expressions of interest can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can expect a one-week answer delay.